By now everyone has heard of the coronavirus (COVID-19), and it is important that we all take steps to reduce our exposure. We encourage everyone to follow the government health guidelines about how to stop the virus from spreading, and also to follow your doctor's advice. In addition, there are some simple steps that can help support your immune system, both to prevent becoming infected, and to help you recover if you are self-isolating with symptoms.
Ginger, garlic and turmeric all help produce heat in the body. When our body is cold inside and our circulation is low, our immune system is compromised.
To help your body fight back
- Boil fresh ginger (scrubbed, not peeled) for several hours in water to make a warming tea. This can be drunk with honey or turmeric. This warms your throat and chest in particular.
- Add garlic and onions to your cooking every day.
- Turmeric is best absorbed in combination with black pepper and a little oil. You can make a warm drink combining these with almond milk (or an equivalent.)
- Drink warm water rather than cold drinks.
Onions and salt are effective at removing toxins from your system. Use natural salt (eg Himalayan salt) rather than table salt (processed salt.) Avoid using raw onions that have been left cut
- Gargle salty water regularly, especially if you have a sore throat or dry cough.
- Try drinking water with a little salt dissolved in it.
When staying indoors, it is important to take steps to keep up your circulation to defend against or to fight off a virus:
- Try to keep a window open as a source of oxygen.
- Do light exercise regularly, even indoors.
Supporting your immune system can help you recover more quickly from viral infection.